A. If it is not written, it did not happen. DO NOT SPEAK TO PEOPLE AND EXPECT RESULTS LEGALLY. Accept and have as much written communication with specifics as humanly possible (dated with people and places identified).
B. Read your procedural safeguards and if you are told "that is our policy" ask where it is written in the Procedural Safeguards. If you do not know what this document is then ASK for it...then date it and write down who gave it to you, where and that you had to ask for it.
C. The IDEA law is the law that gave you the IEP. Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and Individual Education Plan. FAPE - Fair and Appropriate Public Education and LRE - Least Restrictive Environment are acronyms from this law.
D. The order goes:
1. RECOMMENDATION for Special Education Eval. (needs parent consent)
2. EVALUATION (parent can reject and ask for an independent one at the district's cost)
3. RECOMMENDATIONS (In Evaluation...the things the IEP should be based upon as well as current levels)
4. WRITING THE IEP WITH THE TEAM...PARENTS SHOULD BE 'INVOLVED' IN THE PROCESS (ie parents present and feeling heard.)
5. PLACEMENT IN THE LRE - Least Restrictive Environment where the child will receive the highest level of progress in all IEP goals. IF the goals are social/emotional and communication based, think about where the most progress could happen. If there are no general education peers, how will the social/emotional and communication goals be met? These are the sort of things parents should pay attention to and consider whether the school is suggesting the LRE (Least Restrictive Environment) or the path of least resistance...there is a huge difference.
If you need help with these terms, procedures and/or acronyms then the district is required by law to explain them to you, in your own language and UNTIL THIER FACES GET BLUE IF NECESSARY. Please, hold them accountable AND NEVER ATTEND THESE MEETINGS ALONE...AND...LAST BUT NOT LEAST...ask who the official note taker for the district is in each meeting and ask for a copy of the written notes before leaving the meeting. THIS IS YOUR RIGHT BY LAW.
xoxo go get the best for your kids!!!!!!! peace and love, zjen